Acne attacks everyone differently, particularly teens. For some, it is barely noticeable. For others it is a daily burden, one that can hamper self esteem. For the latter population, laser treatment for acne is proven to bear very good results — results that also stand the test of time.
Dermatologists and skin care professionals recommend a multi-tentacled approach to eliminating problematic acne and acne scars: Over-the-counter and prescription ointments can be effective for some people. Light therapy and laser treatment for acne, however, are two procedures that are fast gaining popularity.
1. Laser treatment for acne is largely effective
Most patients undergoing laser treatment for acne or acne scars have favorable results. One study quoted patients seeing a 72 percent reduction of acne after four sessions of laser/light therapy.
2. Patients need patience
One session of laser treatment likely isn’t going to solve a patient’s acne problems. Patients should expect to make at least four visits to a dermatologist or skin care spa before seeing any significant results, while applying any prescribed or over-the-counter ointment. In fact, the aforementioned study which saw a 72 percent reduction of acne and acne scars happened 12 weeks following patients’ treatment.
3. Minor side effects likely
In most cases, the side effects are minimal — minor itching and skin irritation — and last no more than 48 hours. Other side effects such as changes in skin color and minor scaring are possible but extremely rare. Regardless of statistics, side effects need to be a part of the conversation with your skin care professional.
4. How affordable is laser treatment for acne?
Rates for dermatologists, medi-spas and skin care professionals differ market to market. For example, a dermatologist in Manhattan will undoubtedly cost more than one in Bangor, Maine. According to RealSelf.com, the cost for laser treatment for acne can range from $50-$4,000 with an average of $850 per visit. Frequency of treatments varies with each person.
The best laser treatments for acne and acne scars
Medical Laser Technologies offers three if the best laser treatment devices for acne and acne scars:
- Fraxel Dual: The Fraxel Dual is a deep penetrating wavelength not only ideal for acne scars, but for shallow wrinkles, open pores and bumps.
- Vbeam Perfecta: The Vbeam gives off a powerful but gentle burst of light without damaging the surrounding skin.
- QuadraLase: Regarded as one of the best options for facial skin revitalization, the QuadraLase is proven effective laser treatment for acne and acne scars, as well as other scars.
A demo for each of these laser treatment devices can be had by telephoning one of our expert consultants at 1-800-905-LASER (5273).